1. Since 5 January 2018, ten MRT stations on the East-West Line (EWL) from Paya Lebar to Pasir Ris and from Tanah Merah to Changi Airport have had their operational hours shortened on weekends, while train services on the southern stretch of the North-South Line (NSL) between Orchard and Marina South Pier MRT stations have been operating at longer intervals late at night and early in the morning on weekends.
2. These adjustments to train operations, which allow maintenance teams more time for rail renewal and maintenance works, will continue until the first weekend in February 2018 (2 - 4 February 2018). Train service hours will also be shortened on selected days in March.
Changes to operational hours on EWL in February and shuttle bus services
3. The ten MRT stations on the EWL will continue to close earlier on Friday and Saturday (2 and 3 February), and open later on Saturday and Sunday (3 and 4 February).There will not be any full-day closures in February.
4. Four shuttle bus services which provide commuters with alternative transport options between these stations and to other MRT lines will continue to operate in February 2018 when train services end earlier or start later than usual.
Longer train services intervals on the NSL on 2, 3 and 4 Feb
5. On the NSL, train services between Orchard and Marina South Pier MRT stations will also continue to operate at longer intervals of 10 to 15 minutes after 11.00pm on Friday and Saturday nights (2 and 3 February), and before 7.00am on Saturday and Sunday mornings (3 and 4 February).
No train services between City Hall and Raffles Place MRT stations on the NSL on 2, 3 and 4 Feb
6. Commuters should also note that on 2, 3, and 4 February, there will also be no train service between City Hall and Raffles Place MRT stations on the NSL. Commuters travelling between these stations will need to use the EWL.
Changes to operational hours on EWL in March
7. Shortened operational hours for the month of March will involve all 35 MRT stations along the EWL (Pasir Ris to Tuas Link, Tanah Merah to Changi Airport). In addition to shorter operational hours on weekends, the early closure and late opening arrangements will include Monday, 12 March and Wednesday, 14 March during the week-long school holiday. Information on shuttle bus arrangements for the planned closures in March will be announced at a later date.
8. The shorter operational hours on all 35 MRT stations in the month of March, will allow multiple teams to carry out maintenance and rail renewal works concurrently. This will also accelerate the implementation of the Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC) system on the EWL by June 2018.
Commuters advised to plan ahead
9. Commuters may get the latest updates on affected train services and alternative transport arrangements on SMRT’s website, as well as through SMRT’s Facebook and Twitter feed. Commuters are advised to plan their journeys in advance, and seek alternative transport via other MRT lines or bus services.
Click here for the earlier announcement on 1 Jan 2018, and here for more information on train service and shuttle bus service timings in Jan 2018.