Bukit Panjang LRT opens later on Sundays from 12 November to 31 December 2017 for track maintenance and renewal work
1. The Bukit Panjang LRT (BPLRT) System will begin service at 7:00am instead of the usual 5.30am every Sunday starting from 12 November 2017 to 31 December 2017. The late opening of the BPLRT System on these eight Sundays will facilitate track maintenance and renewal work to replace ageing rail mounting frames and rail expansion joints. These works are important to maintain the reliability of the power rail system, and ensure smooth operations of the trains.
2. The late Sunday openings from 12 November to 31 December will increase the engineering hours from the existing 2 hours to 3.5 hours per night. This will increase the proportion of time spent by maintenance workers on the track. Having an additional 1.5 hours will also allow engineers to undertake heavy maintenance works that are not possible within the usual 2-hour window. This will allow scheduled replacement works to be expedited.
3. To reduce the impact of late opening on commuters, shuttle bus services, which run along the LRT route will be available. Commuters will have to tap in and out as per regular bus rides. Buses will operate from 5:30am to 7:00am. Commuters are advised to plan their journeys ahead and consider alternative transport arrangements, such as bus services to get to their destinations. There will be announcements made at LRT stations and SMRT station staff will be on hand during affected Sundays to guide commuters. Commuters can refer to SMRT’s social media channels for more information and to help plan their journeys, commuters may refer to SMRT’s Journey Planner at http://journey.smrt.com.sg.
4. Mr Roger Lim, Vice President, Circle Line and BPLRT, said: “The late opening of the BPLRT system on eight Sundays in November and December will enable engineering staff more time to expedite the renewal of ageing track infrastructure. We are grateful to commuters for adjusting their travel schedules to facilitate maintenance and renewal work. Our engineering staff value every additional minute of track access to carry out their work.”
5. Please refer to Annex A for the shuttle bus schedule from 5:30am to 7:00am from 12 November to 31 December 2017. We seek the patience and understanding of commuters for this late opening.